Crispy Bitter Gourd Fries
Bitter gourd is not an easy vegetable to like. As its name suggests, IT IS BITTER. However, various studies have shown that bitter gourd has numerous health benefits. Added to this is the fact that the Okinawa people's longevity is attributed partly to their fondness for bitter gourds. Well, do I need a better reason to eat bitter gourds regularly?
But surely there must be a way to reduce the bitterness to make it more palatable. I noticed that my mother-in-law used to soak the sliced bitter gourds in saline water. Whoa! So that's the secret to reducing the bitterness! Now there's no excuse not to eat bitter gourds!
One of the easiest ways to enjoy this vegetable is to slice it thinly, soak it in saline water, then add spices and marinate for about 30 minutes. Finally, add some cornflour and fry. There you have it! Crispy bitter gourd fries.
1. Slice bitter gourd thinly. Soak for at least 30 minutes in water to which salt has been added.
2. Drain the bitter gourd slices. Add red chili powder and turmeric powder. Marinate for 10 minutes.
3. Add corn flour to the marinated bitter gourd slices and mix well.
4. Fry in oil until brown in color, roughly around 5 minutes, turning a few times to ensure both sides are well-cooked.
5. Remove the bitter gourd from the pan and allow oil to drain.